The request for a work permit should be completed before starting any work. All the required documents for the application can be obtained from the Albanian Embassy in one’s country of origin or in each regional labor office located in Albania.

Persons who are not Albanian citizens and wish to work in Albania need a work permit issued by the Ministry of Finance and Economy.

The granting or refusal of a work permit is done within a period of 10 days after submitting the appropriate documentation.

A work permit can be granted with or without time restrictions. The validity period of the work permit is based on the type of work permit and also in the nationality of the employee. The work permit will expire if the deadline is exceeded, if the foreigner leaves Albania for a period longer than six months or does not start the activity for a period of three months from the date the work permit is issued.

The request for renewal is submitted at least 30 days before the expiration of the existing permit. The competent authority issues the renewed permit within 30 days from submission of the complete application and fulfilment of the conditions for renewal.

Citizens of the European Union (EU) and Schengen countries have the same employment rights as Albanian citizens, except when the legislation may require Albanian citizenship for certain positions. US citizens can also stay in Albania for at least a year without a residence permit and they as well has the same employment rights as Albanian citizens.

There are four main Albanian work permit categories:

  • Type A: Permits for economic activities for employees
  • Type B: Independent economic activity permits
  • Type C: Permits for special occasions
  • Type D: Permanent work permits for eligible foreigners

Documents required to obtain a work permit:

  • Standard application form signed by your employee
  • A National Registration Center extract confirming your registration as an employer
  • The applicant’s employment contract
  • Copy of their passport
  • Five photos

Employees will also need to pay for their First Work Permit ALL 6,000, or about 45 EUR, to get a work permit from the General Directorate of National Labor Service or the Labor Office of the relevant territory. After being provided with the work permit, a foreigner should apply and obtain Type D Visa (this depends from the person nationality) and Residence Permit.

Ready to Talk